Saturday, January 30, 2010

Actually Trying New Things...

On March 18 of last year, I wrote that I wanted to try the Couch to 5K program. I did not.

This year, inspired by the various physical accomplishments of friends Beth (who trained for and ran an entire marathon) and Katie (who trained for a breast cancer 3-Day, though she was rained out of much of her actual walk), I have actually started it.

This past week, I walked/ran on Monday, Thursday, and today. Monday, I finished about 1/3 of the intervals, Thursday finished 1/2, and today finished an entire week 1 session! I feel incredibly proud of myself so far. Some of the women who I work with are runners and they are encouraging and are going to sign up with me for a 5K in May, as soon as we figure out which one.

On to week 2!

In other news, I present to you three odd stories from NPR from the week:
- Why we make the wrong choice: an overloaded brain
- Finding a picture of Phineas Gage, a man who had a railroad spike driven through his skull in 1848 and lived to tell the tale, albeit with a different personality
- The formula for perfect parallel parking: apparently it's all about the math (shocker)

Happy happy birthday this week to a few of my favorite people.

No comments: