Friday, January 1, 2010

Actually the New Year

Happy actual new year now. I did not get the quarter, but it's probably better that my uncle did anyway. He could use it more, I'm thinking.

Things to look forward to this year? My 10-year college reunion. That's going to be one fun weekend.

I was talking with a friend earlier this week about traditions that my family has for the holidays. Here's one of my favorites, a card game that we call "Boofoo." (Note: spelling is not guaranteed. The rest of the world calls this game "Oh Hell" or something else entirely...) We have been playing this game after every large family meal ever since I can remember. There is score-keeping, trick-taking, trash-talking, and no one plays nicely. What I mean by that is that no one's going to let you win just because we're related or you married into the family. Dad used to keep score (and win too, but that had more to do with his phenomenal memory) and now my brother tends to do so. Some of my best family memories are wrapped up in these games, laughing and being rowdy around the dining room table.

No comments: