Sunday, January 24, 2010

Recipies!

I feel a little like my friend Jen when I post recipes, but I'm not trying to steal her thunder. Just explaining what I did with my weekend. Yesterday, I made crumpets and today, I made quiche.

Crumpets
Ingredients:
2 c. warm water
2 c. flour
1 T. or packet dry yeast
1 t. salt

Mixing and Rising:
Pour the water in a mixing bowl. Blend in 1 c. of the flour and the yeast. Allow this mixture to grow and develop for 10-15 min before you add the balance of the flour and the salt.

Mix the batter thoroughly, cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and let rise for 1 to 2 hours.

Shaping:
After the batter has doubled in size, stir it down and let it rest for 5 min while you heat your griddle.

(In England and certain places in America, you can buy rings to cook crumpets in, but we can approximate them by using tuna-sized cans with the tops and bottoms cut out. Clean them thoroughly and grease with butter. You can also buy the rings from various specialty places online. I got mine through the King Arthur Flour website.)

Cooking:
Lightly grease and then heat your griddle over medium-low heat. Place as many rings on it as you have room for. Fill each ring with about 1/4 inch of batter (about 1/4 cup in my rings, which are 3.75 inches in diameter). The batter should be thin enough so that holes develop.

Cook until the batter is beginning to dry on top and brown on the bottom, about 6-7 min. Remove the rings, flip the crumpets, and finish cooking. This will take 1-2 min.

I like to toast mine and add Nutella. Yum!

Quiche
Basic Formula of Ingredients:
1 pie crust, prebaked for extra crispness, but not necessary
3 to 4 eggs
3 T. flour
1 to 1.5 c. liquid (milk, evaporated milk, buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream, cream, etc.)
1.5 to 2 c. cooked, chopped veggies and/or meat
1.5 c. grated cheese (anything goes)

Prep the custard:
Combine the eggs, flour, and liquid. Pour some on the bottom of your crust to seal it and keep the juices from soaking in. Strew the pie shell with veggies, meat, etc. and then sprinkle and cheese over all. Pour the remainder of the custard over the whole thing and bake for 35 to 40 min at 375 degrees.

Today, I used leeks & feta cheese. Tasty!

No comments: